Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Adapting the headlights for France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DrLex

Iceland 

I had meant a replacement unit - but a car doesn't sound bad, esp. if it'd have a new compressor on it...

Indeed, having had a moment now to attack the car again and haul out the unit, I too have located the small, sprung silver lever that follows the curve of the reflector. Ulrika! Very Happy As Simon mentioned above, it does spring back to a central position, so remember which way it goes, otherwise you'll have more night-time motorists flashing angrily at you than usual Wink

I'm still contemplating getting the duct tape out - those metal levers are a pig. I guess it's not simpler as LR wish to keep it a water-tight unit.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #808622nd Jul 2005 6:03 pm
BN

England 

Leave Ulrika out of it, but Urika is fine. Its a devil of a job to find isn't it. Pathetic is the word.

Post #808822nd Jul 2005 6:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Any one got a photo if the lever so the rest of us know what to look for when Brian takes us off on trips to far flung corners of the world?
 The End  
Post #809222nd Jul 2005 6:26 pm
BN

England 

Blo**y hell, it is so small I would need a Macro lens. Don't worry when we do the trips, we will fix it for you. On the other hand someone with a good piccy taker may do the honours, if they can find it.

Post #809722nd Jul 2005 6:52 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well I will ask Ulrika when I see her next in Waitrose (she's much smaller in real life to my great disappointment!), in the meantime a big thankyou to all who have put information about this issue. We are off in 13 days and I will have a play when I get the car tomorrow morning. Can't wait feels like its Christmas eve and birthday allrolled into one.
Duncan Smile

Post #810922nd Jul 2005 8:00 pm
BN

England 

Your welcome, enjoy and have a good holiday in 13 days. Very Happy Oh, I,m not sure about Ulrika, I prefer Carol Vordaman Smile oh dear what have I said. Rolling Eyes

Post #811122nd Jul 2005 8:37 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

jollybodger wrote:
... I will have a play when I get the car tomorrow morning.

Might be worth your while, should you have the time and inclination, to ask the dealer to show you the lever. I checked with my local dealer and they were more than happy to whip out a unit from the spares dept and show me Smile

I did wonder why there are instructions on showing how to change a Xenon bulb - I thought they had a lifetime guarantee Confused Or they ought to, given that they're £300 a pop...
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #811622nd Jul 2005 9:32 pm
BN

England 

DrLex wrote:
jollybodger wrote:
... I will have a play when I get the car tomorrow morning.

Might be worth your while, should you have the time and inclination, to ask the dealer to show you the lever. I checked with my local dealer and they were more than happy to whip out a unit from the spares dept and show me Smile

I did wonder why there are instructions on showing how to change a Xenon bulb - I thought they had a lifetime guarantee Confused Or they ought to, given that they're £300 a pop...

£300 per pop, is in fact a nuclear explosion to me.

Post #811722nd Jul 2005 9:34 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I see a lesson on the 7th being in order...

This was the spring clip my dealer found... but as I said kept springing back.

-s

Post #812122nd Jul 2005 10:00 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

Gents,

I have found the lever but the manual doesn't specify where the lever should be moved too??? Does anyone know where each side should be set for both UK and Europe? (the drivers side is dead centre of its possible left/right adjustment - can't remember where the passenger side was!!!!)

Cheers

ST

Post #3742114th Jan 2006 4:26 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

AFAIR it does re-center after you've 'clicked' it. I think it'll move one way easily which'll be the current setting and need a bit of force to click it the other way to adjust them. So assuming they're currently set for the UK which ever way the adjustment is most difficult is the way you want to go.
Been a while since I had a play with them though so that could just be my in my imagination!
 The End  
Post #3742214th Jan 2006 4:31 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

They don't appear to have actual stop points for any specific position - total travel is about 3/4's of an inch in either direction and it is difficult to tell where the starting point is???
Think I will get onto my dealer Monday

Post #3742314th Jan 2006 4:41 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Some time ago Nickhearne gave some really excellent photo information on this subject. However the advice on which way to move the main lever "A" in that information contradicted the advice my dealer specifically obtained for me from Land Rover.
i,e: I was told the lever was to be pushed up for continental use, whereas Nick believed it was up for UK.

I went to the continent having set it the way quoted by the dealer and changed back on my return. Later after I saw Nickhearne's published info I started to have my doubts and still have no idea which is correct.
Is anybody sure which way is correct?
If all else fails I intend to get the dealer to check the beam pattern when it goes in later this month.

Post #3743014th Jan 2006 5:58 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Headlights for France

Definitely got the levers on my HSE. The mechanic (oops sorry technician) at local dealers moved mine before and after trip to France in November 2005. If you know where they are and have tough fingertips it is a two minute job for both sides. Pity we do not have veritcal dip headlamps like large parts of Europe as opposed to left or right hand drive.. How often do youi see a Conitintal car with bits of black tape over the lens?
BN Is not Urika a TV star who has had several husbands? or second thought I think that Ulrika! Embarassed

Post #3744014th Jan 2006 7:36 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Headlights for France

THUB wrote:
Definitely got the levers on my HSE. The mechanic (oops sorry technician) at local dealers moved mine before and after trip to France in November 2005. If you know where they are and have tough fingertips it is a two minute job for both sides. Pity we do not have veritcal dip headlamps like large parts of Europe as opposed to left or right hand drive.. How often do youi see a Conitintal car with bits of black tape over the lens?
BN Is not Urika a TV star who has had several husbands? or second thought I think that Ulrika! Embarassed
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter you've got to cut Victor Meldrew ...sorry BN a bit of slack, he's got a few years on Sven.... but the same hairstyle and colour (battleship blond)  
Post #3744114th Jan 2006 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >