Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Absolute safest lowest clearance with expo rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SN

Absolute safest lowest clearance with expo rack

So I got my step ladders out (don't laugh) and a plank of wood and meaured the absolute height of the D3 + G4 Expo Rack (no lights as yet) in access height.

I got, with two separate measurements with two tapes a height of 2.06m (6'9" in old money Thumbs Up )

First question - does anyone/everyone concur this is OK?

Second question - I reckon 2.1m is the absolute lowest clearance I'd be prepared to go under on the flat - does anyone/everyone concur ?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #28015631st Mar 2008 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex08

Scotland 

If it helps, when I was trying to park in underground carparks on holiday in ACCESS I got into the 2.10m but had to reverse out of the 2.05m having got the height sign stuck on the back of the rack! Embarassed

So 2.06 is probably a bit fine. 2.10 is OK - take your chances in between Whistle

Post #28023731st Mar 2008 10:29 pm
SN

Well I've been skulking around the underground garage tonight with my tape measure taking spot measurements...

First the bad news - to get to my official spot I have to get past a bl**dy soil pipe or heating pipe or something that is EXACTLY 2.00m above the concrete .... Big Cry

Now the really bad news - I went and measured the dangling board at the entrance and that measures 2.10m Shocked

So an unsuspecting soul could breeze in under the height barrier thinking they were OK and crunch, wipe out the roof of their vehicle and part of the building waste/heating system at the same time.... VERY CLEVER... NOT! Evil or Very Mad

At this point I'm a bit P-O'ed but I wandered up to the upper level of the underground garage and noticed that its got a good clearance of around 2.4 all around (confirmed with tape) - so a quick word with the 'immigrant' building concierge fellow (who'd been watching me with interest using the spy cameras Whistle ) and alls well that ends well - coz he "knows" of a couple of spots that are never used - so RESULT, I can get the beastie parked up safe and sound 'dahn sahf' now! Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #2819033rd Apr 2008 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

I'm so glad - I would not be impressed that I got bl Censored dy soaked taking my rack of for nothing Laughing
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #2819063rd Apr 2008 8:51 pm
SN

I'm so glad too! Do not want to go through the rigmarole of taking it off for some time Rolling Eyes
Post #2819143rd Apr 2008 9:00 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I parked min under the lowest bit of garage door & measured down to car, then deducted this from total height of doorway, and the precise height of mine was about 7' or 2.1m for the foreigners amongst us.

That is: Access mode + Expo, measured to top of rear cross bar (seemed to be highest point)
The LF 140's on the front stick up a few mm higher.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2819213rd Apr 2008 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >