Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

9yo D4 - What should I focus on maintaining?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kiwisailor

Sweden 
9yo D4 - What should I focus on maintaining?

Hi!

I recently bought a 9yo D4 S TDV6. It's been well maintained but since it's coming up on 10 years now there are some major changes ahead. I'm now looking for advice on how to stay ahead of the deterioration?

What has been fixed:
- Timing belt
- Rear wheel stuff that attaches to car (don't know what it is called)

These are repairs I believe I need to do within the next year's:

- Air suspension
- Front wheel "stuff" (car vibrates when breaking from high speed)
- Rust underneath (normal to a bit too much on some places)
- Engine catastrophic failure (always possible)
- Turbos
- Parking break
- Breaks

My question is; what should I focus on to keep the car from breaking down?

Is it worthwhile to maintain before it breaks down - and how? For example, how can I maintain the air suspension?

I want to do as much as possible by myself. But I don't have access to a fully equipped garage.

Any and all advice how to best maintain and keep a 10yo Disco 4 going is very welcome.

Post #234357428th Jul 2023 3:23 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hello, welcome! Congratulations on your new vehicle...

Fortunately a 10 year old D4 is still relatively 'new', as they go

I would keep on top of regular engine oil and filter changes (personally change mine every 4-6000 miles) as a priority, you say timing belts have been done, maintenance on your EPB every now and again might save you a big bill for a new module too.

Have the autobox, transfer case, front and rear diff oils been changed at all or recently? Autobox can do with a megaflush / running flush every now and again to keep it sweet.

In terms of air suspension, I would just say it pays to keep on top of any leaks you notice. If you notice the car sinking down over the course of a day or two when left, you have a leak somewhere, and the compressor will be working harder than normal, and eventually fail.

If you want to look after it then keep on top of rust, if you have the ability / funds to do so...

Not much you can do to preventatively look after engine and turbos except frequent oil changes using high quality and correct specification oil, and don't thrash the car when before its reached operating temp if you can avoid it.

Brakes - it's a big car and goes through discs and pads relatively quickly compared to other cars I've had.

Suspension bushes are consumable parts - expect to need to replace bushes / suspension arms at some point, at least once... the ride quality is excellent in this vehicle, but it needs the bushes replaced to keep it like that once they start to give. Bad bushes can cause crashing over bumps, knocking sounds, poor ride quality, and judder / steering wheel wobble under braking I believe

Wheel bearings - don't tend to last forever on the Discovery, particularly front wheel bearings. Not much you can do to look after them preventatively IMO, except for driving the car very very gently Laughing

Sunroof - if you have a sunroof the drain pipes can get blocked and cause flooding in the rain in the footwell.

Use the 'search' function on the forum for all of these issues, plenty of threads covering them all. I'm sure there's a lot I've left out, but those are the main ones from me.

Post #234357928th Jul 2023 4:33 pm
Kiwisailor

Sweden 

Thanks! Great advice 😊

Post #234363529th Jul 2023 12:11 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Mine is 8 years old and the two things most likely to strand me (rather than just needing fixing, and leaving out catastrophic failure) are, I think, earth strap rusted through preventing starter motor, or crack in the manifold causing restricted performance.
 d4 HSE  
Post #234367229th Jul 2023 11:55 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

disco chris wrote:
Hello, welcome! Congratulations on your new vehicle...

Fortunately a 10 year old D4 is still relatively 'new', as they go

I would keep on top of regular engine oil and filter changes (personally change mine every 4-6000 miles) as a priority, you say timing belts have been done, maintenance on your EPB every now and again might save you a big bill for a new module too.

Have the autobox, transfer case, front and rear diff oils been changed at all or recently? Autobox can do with a megaflush / running flush every now and again to keep it sweet.

In terms of air suspension, I would just say it pays to keep on top of any leaks you notice. If you notice the car sinking down over the course of a day or two when left, you have a leak somewhere, and the compressor will be working harder than normal, and eventually fail.

If you want to look after it then keep on top of rust, if you have the ability / funds to do so...

Not much you can do to preventatively look after engine and turbos except frequent oil changes using high quality and correct specification oil, and don't thrash the car when before its reached operating temp if you can avoid it.

Brakes - it's a big car and goes through discs and pads relatively quickly compared to other cars I've had.

Suspension bushes are consumable parts - expect to need to replace bushes / suspension arms at some point, at least once... the ride quality is excellent in this vehicle, but it needs the bushes replaced to keep it like that once they start to give. Bad bushes can cause crashing over bumps, knocking sounds, poor ride quality, and judder / steering wheel wobble under braking I believe

Wheel bearings - don't tend to last forever on the Discovery, particularly front wheel bearings. Not much you can do to look after them preventatively IMO, except for driving the car very very gently Laughing

Sunroof - if you have a sunroof the drain pipes can get blocked and cause flooding in the rain in the footwell.

Use the 'search' function on the forum for all of these issues, plenty of threads covering them all. I'm sure there's a lot I've left out, but those are the main ones from me.

This.

Excellent synopsis.

EPB maintenance is vital and front arms when they start to go, go fast.

I'd add..

Propshaft centre bearing don't seem to last as long as they should - mine was replaced at 37K.

Earth strap if it goes is an easy temporary work around with a thick jump lead (use 'Search' for more).

Bigger stuff is down to how well maintained, driving style a little and just luck.

Enjoy..
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #234371929th Jul 2023 4:23 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would add:

Would concur on centre bearing of rear prop shaft. Replace whole rear propshaft if this goes

Sun roof drain. disentegrated drain tube elbow. Passenger side is difficult to swap due to central juntion board .

Tailgate actuator - seem to go eventually locking you out of tailgate but easily replaced if you can still open it.

Doors can fail to lock/open so check regularly and be ready to replace mechanism if necc.

Look out for rotary gear switch lights not working (might not bother you).

All these items replaced on mine.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #234376330th Jul 2023 12:46 am
kim0785b

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Perhaps a bit minor, but I'd check these

1. Coolant hoses aren't rubbing anything
2. Engine cover isn't rubbing on the hoses (recommend trimming the engine cover a little to keep it safe)
3. Minor but overlooked, in the rear of the car there is the air suspension air filter which can get quite dusty
4. Gave my washer fluid tank a good clean as it seems to have built up some grime / dirt
5. The door rubbers tend to wear out quite easily whilst getting in and out the car
6. Discs, Pads and Suspensions
7. Manifold Pressure Sensor tends to need a replacement at this age
8. With the explosive engine I've always filled it with Shell V-Power and done an oil change every 6 months or 6000 miles.
9. Give it a good rust-proofing when you buy it
10. Steering Column Replacement, it seems to collect gunk and get stiff (steering will be stiff)
11. Enjoy the car and don't worry, it really is the best thing to drive.
12. Put about £1000 a year aside for general maintenance LR are costly to maintain!
 Discovery 4
Oct 2015, 2016 build
SDV6 Santorini Black SE
New engine at 42k
Car camper 

Post #23442863rd Aug 2023 11:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >