Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

5V power supply for USB hub
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
5V power supply for USB hub

I have a USB hub I'm going to use in the D3. I'm a bit concerned about using it just bus powered, so I want to power it with it's own 5V supply. The only ones I can find are cigar lighter charger types, but they only supply 700-1000mA, and a 4 port should ideally be supplied a minimum 1600mA.

Any suggestions for where to find a more powerful 12V-5V dc-dc power supply?

Post #34352913th Sep 2008 10:37 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I picked up a fairly decent regulator in Maplins recently Bobby.It monitors the source battery at the same time with an LCD display with a choice of coloured backlights.Slimline, neat, aswell about the size of a bar of choc and came with a range of different charge tips and an integrated usb power slot.I'll see if I can find the model number for you to see if its what you need.

Edit : Sad Nah no use to you , only 600Ma . Input 12/24V DC output 1.5/3/4.5/5/6/7.5/9/12V ( where source is 24v) 3A
USB output 5.5VDC

Model A79GW

Post #34355013th Sep 2008 11:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I run a PC in mine with a hub. I have found I don't need to power it for any USB stick, touch screen and mouse and keyboard all connected at the same time. Very Happy
You only need to power it if you have something with large power drain eg USB hard drive.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #34357714th Sep 2008 2:27 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Yep - that's the problem - USB hard drive, USB DVD-R...

Some of the things I'm plugging in could be powered separately buy a handful of those cigar lighter chargers, but the solution quickly starts to look naff with a web of power and usb cables around the vehicle...

Post #34359114th Sep 2008 9:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >