Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

'57 Reg Failed MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
romadog2004

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
'57 Reg Failed MOT

Purchased 57 reg November 2010 at over 58k from main dealer. Failed MOT today on worn bush in lower suspension arm. Done 67,800 miles. Purchased with warranty. Who thinks this is what they'd expect to happen??

Just had new front discs and pads as well as pad sensor wire as grinding noise appeared all of a sudden. If wire was working then shouldnt a lamp have lit on dashboard??

Now had rear pads fitted and sensor wire again. Tell me what this wire does as no warning lamp has come up on dash.

Had a P38 4.6 HSE before and wanted a break from constant bills, so spent much more money to a dealer!!

How should I proceed in claim with dealer that vehicle was not thoroughly checked before sale and warranty??
All help appreciated.

Post #8331838th Sep 2011 10:15 pm
anglefire

England 

I had the same issue with mine less than 3 months of buying it. After they gave me the price to repair, I told them it was under warranty and they did sort it FOC.

IMHO, Their problem.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8331908th Sep 2011 10:26 pm
anglefire

England 

I should also say, they don't seem to check them before sale and just claim off the warranty.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8331928th Sep 2011 10:27 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When I purchased mine @59,900 miles had a similar find , mine was a private sale , and I kind of half expected , stuff like that ,it was no surprise ,
When I had a service , pads , discs. Worn bushes , I did allow for some stuff , but was surprised as it was only 2 years old , but it's wear and tear I suppose , but they did the bushes under warranty .
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8331948th Sep 2011 10:29 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

The warranty should cover the bush without a problem. I had £1000's of LR warranty £ spent on my suspension after reading this site and 'finding' new problems. Not sure how much luck you'll have with the discs, though. Worth a try.
 PAGODA  
Post #8331978th Sep 2011 10:30 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

did it come from approved landrover if so complain, bought swmbo's FL2 and within three months had to get all rear brakes (pads discs &hand brake) replaced as all failed, this was one of there own vehicles so should have been serviced regular, check the approved landrover website, not too sure which dealer you got it from but if it is a strat####e one and you have problems with them phone pendragon and ask to speak to the PA to the national franchise director she was very helpful with me and even threw in a major service free of charge, hope it helps Thumbs Up

Post #8332509th Sep 2011 6:19 am
Dave T

England 

There is only one sensor on each pair of discs (front and back) so it is possible that it was the other side that was worn. Were the pads all evenly worn? If not it is also possible that the sliders the calipers run on were sticky one side or perhaps a caliper itself, that would increase the wear on the other.
If it was from a main dealer then I would have expected at least a year warranty, in which case I would expect them to pay for the bushes.

As far as the discs are concerned that is consumables isn't it? Don't think any warranty would cover that unless they were warped in a very short time.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #8332529th Sep 2011 6:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

bought swmbo's FL2 and within three months had to get all rear brakes (pads discs &hand brake) replaced as all failed, this was one of there own vehicles so should have been serviced regular

There in lies the problem...Going back 20 years ago you would have had to remove brake drums/discs on service and clean out all the dust and then re-adjust.....the FL2 service schedule doesnt incorporate this operation, so you will see more and more cars with this kind of brake issue. Its what happens when LR reduce the service times...certain basic items in my opinion have been dropped to reduce time which ultimately reduces labour time and makes the price more competetive. Due to the dust build up and resulting heat brake shoes and discs need replacing....backwards step in my opinion.

Post #8332599th Sep 2011 7:29 am
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Flipping eck packing strips for once we agree on something Thumbs Up When the brakes were stripped down the shoes had crumbled and you could vertualy see the metal under them this did not happen in 1k miles of travel but then found out that service 3rd service had not been done and brakes were shot I did not drive it and swmbo had never had FL2 before so was not too sure on brakes but buying from dealer I would have hoped for better. Anyway back to the original thread Think it should be a trip to dealers and discuss this issue with dealer principle etc

Post #8332729th Sep 2011 8:12 am
packingstrips

I think to say that the vehicle wasnt checked correctly before release is a difficult one. 10k miles and almost a years driving has gone before it....it seems par for the course to be honest. Suspension component failures and brake issues are common issues. I would cotact the Dealer and get their take on it.

Post #8333469th Sep 2011 12:42 pm
romadog2004

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks everyone for your comments. Thumbs Up
We shall be contacting the dealer and minimum claim will be for warranty on bushes and tyre. There was an advisory on MOT for off side front tyre which we would have got fitted to keep even pair on axle. But although people say that Scorpions wear quickly, I'm sure that they wouldnt expect them to wear in less than 6 months and within 6000 miles ! So they should pay for the near side tyre.
Another advisory was for steering rack ends.
Will update as soon as we know more.

Post #8335339th Sep 2011 10:48 pm
Tomcat 106

United Kingdom 

Personally I think you will struggle to get the tyres out of them. Something callled consequential damage (buried in the small print somwhere....)

It does make you think how much you should take an Land Rover approved used x point check at little more than face value though Confused

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #83369510th Sep 2011 7:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >