Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

MY 55 D3 HSE Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
PaulJC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
MY 55 D3 HSE Auto

Just thought i'd start a thread to follow my D3 ownership...

I've never had a 4x4 before but have wanted a D3 for years and am now the proud owner of a '55' HSE Auto which i am loving so far having picked it up on Saturday and driven it home 250 miles...

Here she is... I'm not in the habit of naming cars but I get a feeling this one is going to be around a while so we will see...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It has come with loads of paperwork and receipts so i can see it had a new compressor and timing belt, tensioner and idler fitted in 2012 which was only 20k miles ago... And had the front arms replaced a couple of months ago...

It has a few things that need doing/replacing but nothing major at this stage, rear wiper arm is corroded/seized and the blade split so i have ordered replacements, one of the handle pieces of trim is loose so have ordered one of them too, a set of mats and a boot liner should be arriving today, i also have a set of clear side indicators and chrome bulbs coming and also chrome bulbs for the front thinking of a future detango...

Future plans:
Work the trim back to black, the scuttle is very faded so may just replace it - Any recommendations?
A good leather clean/condition.
Detango.
Some new tyres - not sure whats on it at the moment but they are not all the same - will get all the brakes and bushes checked while they are off.
Split charging system would be very handy with a 240 inverter in the boot, i fly model aircraft and being able to charge in the field would be nice.
LED interior bulbs and maybe an LED strip for in the boot.
It's just been serviced and had a new battery but i'll probably do diff and transfer oil changes while we have some decent weather just so i know they have been done.
Spare wheel protector.
Towbar.

I'm also going to book myself on to a protrax day for £50, just to learn what it can do and because i've never had a 4x4 before...

Post #168203218th Jul 2016 10:55 am
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome and Good luck fella Thumbs Up

Post #168203818th Jul 2016 11:09 am
PaulJC

Just won a couple of "Harmon Kardon Drive + Play, Car iPod connections" on eBay for £15 posted... Not sure if they will work with my iPod touch with an adapter but worth a punt for £15...

Not sure where i'll fit the display yet if it works, my car has a Parrot bluetooth fitted which sits to the R of the sat nav (not sure why as it has built in bluetooth which seems to work...)

Post #168207518th Jul 2016 1:53 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Very nice, is that Bramfields woods by any chance ?
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #168211018th Jul 2016 4:01 pm
PaulJC

It is indeed, the Datchworth end, it's the bravest i've been, dry gravel and dirt lol, and will probably stay that way till i find someone to save me when i get it wrong lol

Post #168211318th Jul 2016 4:06 pm
Mr Kington

Thought it looked familiar !! I let Jacob my 6 year old drive the car down the track. Get some very confused / scared looking walkers.
Post #168217218th Jul 2016 6:28 pm
PaulJC

lol, there is another half decent length of lane not far away between Chapmore End and Bengeo, not been brave enough to try that one as it gets very 'slick' at times...

Turns out i have 2 goodyear Wranglers on the back which look like they might be useful but a couple of cheap road pattern tyres on the front... i'd rather get some of the little bits on the car done first and i don't particularly want to get stuck anywhere so holding off anything too 'testing looking' until i can get some new rubber and find a playmate...

Maybe the Portray day will show me i'm being a bit of a pussy because in reality i have no idea what the car is capable of...

Post #168230418th Jul 2016 10:52 pm
Mr Kington

When Geoff is more mobile I will let you know if he comes out to mine. Thinking of getting a re map. Might be able to do a few jobs for you if needed.
Post #168233619th Jul 2016 6:18 am
PaulJC

Yeah definitely let me know '3 flash' indicators and dash clock are about the only things I need and would like to get them done at some point...

Post #168235919th Jul 2016 7:18 am
Dai-Disco3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Regarding Scuttle Panel, mine MY09 is/was badly faded but am experimenting with a coat of Halfords Black Bumper paint to see if:
1/ It lasts
2/ Fades
3/ It flakes

I removed mine and rubbed down with some wire-wool and water to remove as much oxidized plastic as possible and give a good key to the surface. 20 mins later refitted as paint dry and not soft Exclamation

Oh if you do paint mask the top rubberised edge, about 25mm, so that it doesn't craze when refitting.

New Scuttles are about £50 - 55 I believe but trying the cheap £6.99 tin of paint first Wink it may be a good economical fix and outlast a new one, as that will fade as well.

If you do remove the scuttle do have a complete set of clips to hand to replace the a pillar trims Very Happy Note there are two types used!

Post #168249219th Jul 2016 3:09 pm
PaulJC

Yeah please let me know how you get on, mine looks terrible so certainly needs something doing with it...

Post #168262419th Jul 2016 10:08 pm
PaulJC

A couple of things added today, floor mats and a boot liner which randomly came with a bit of carpet which looks ok'ish and still saves the vehicle carpet so i'll leave it in there for now but i can see wear and tear taking a toll on it after not a lot of time... I'll probably also grab some rubber mats for if i know i'm embarking on something dirty but these didn't cost the earth so i won't loose any sleep over them getting dirty...

Mats:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012SD...&psc=1

Bootliner:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B4K...&psc=1

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #168262519th Jul 2016 10:29 pm
philby258

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

PaulJC wrote:
It is indeed, the Datchworth end, it's the bravest i've been, dry gravel and dirt lol, and will probably stay that way till i find someone to save me when i get it wrong lol

Thought I looked familiar too I lived in Burnham green and schooled in Welwyn many years ago

Post #168262719th Jul 2016 10:38 pm
Di$comfort

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Congrats on the new ride! 8) I just love the color so much! Dont think ive seen it before on anything but a FFRR.
Get that bitch dirty! They run better when muddy and covered with a thin layer of sand Thumbs Up
Your right. You need to "stop being a pussy". They run better off road and there is no way YOUR gonna get it stuck Laughing
Your plastic looks fine and even if you do get it back to black its gonna fade in a few weeks. I found the cheapest solution is meguires back to black. It takes seconds to put on. The more you use the darker it gets and it seems to last a bit longer than peanut butter. Yes...peanut butter. It was recommended here and it works hella good. Or you can get the all natural hippy kind and you can pour off the oil and just use that.
I love that your mat came with carpet! Thats awesome! Use it for a template and get some remnants from the local rug master and make some spares.

I do highly recommend wiggs's RR nav mod and an Affrican Outdoor bluetooth module for your audio straming enjoyment. Bail the Parrot and retain the factory wheel controlls. You will also Love the D4 BT upgrade and daytime running lights. Never turn your light nob again...while your at it, activate the "auto park brake on exit" and 'drive away' brake.. Then never turn your light control knob nor touch your park brake button ever again. They were my three favorite mods.
Best,
Jake
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_  
Post #168264820th Jul 2016 6:11 am
PaulJC

Thanks for all your welcomes and inputs Smile

Got a couple of other little bits done today...

New rear wiper arm and blade fitted, the old one was corroded so it didn't hinge and the blade split.

Click image to enlarge

Also one of the handle trims had broken clips and wouldn't sit flat so that got replaced...

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

I then got some bits together to give the tow bar socket a clean and install a Towbar Blanking Plug Bung - KNG500013 to keep it free from dirt.

Click image to enlarge

Installed after a good wire brushing in the hole...

Click image to enlarge

While under the car i also checked out my rear diff to find it's normal and not an E-Diff so i now know which oil to order Smile

Also added some more "to-do's" to the list, having a check round it seems some of the wheel nuts have expanded so they will be replaced...

Oh and i also chucked a 5T Towing Strap in one of the side cubby holes 'just in case' i'm sure some more 'rescue gear' will find it's way in to the car in the not to distant future...

Click image to enlarge

Post #168312021st Jul 2016 3:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >