DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

4x4 Response insurance advice/information please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
4x4 Response insurance advice/information please

EMERGENCY RESILIENT COMMUNITIES PLAN
The Resilient Communities initiative supported by Local, Scottish & UK Government, is being implemented across the Scottish borders to encourage & support communities in developing local response & expertise to help themselves during an emergency ie; severe weather, Power Failure, Floods to name a few.

I have been asked,as a 4x4 driver, if I would be willing to help out in the event of the above.Our community was badly affected,as many were over the last 2 years by heavy snow.
We have a fairly elderly population in the village and I was actually intending to offer my services anyway.
I have been told that the "Community Council Insurance now covers anyone who volunteers to help out in the community"
I'm just curious,how are the 4x4 response members covered in the event of an accident,is it through their own insurance or do you have a separate cover ?
I am sure I would be covered on my own insurance as it would be for neither "hire nor reward" but I'm just interested :

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Thread title updated
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8568369th Nov 2011 4:11 pm
iconix

United Kingdom 

Hello,

I am a member of a 4x4 response group and we are covered by their liability insurance on call outs. If the Community Council have said they will cover you then all well and good although you might want to get a letter from your insurance company. It should not be any extra on your insurance premium. The only problem is that most insurance companies have never been asked about working for a voluntary 4x4 organisation before, so keep pushing if they refuse. All of us at South East 4x4 Response managed to do it with various insurance companies.
Below is a link to our template leter you might find useful to print out, sign and send them,
good luck
Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...er%7E0.pdf

Post #8568459th Nov 2011 4:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Nice one iconix...think thats just the job....I guess I just need to read the small print of the Community Council Insurance first....don't want to appear churlish,but don't want to be doing my good samaratin bit,then get hit by some Censored in a BMW going sideways at 10mph......oh sorry,I forgot that was ME last year Whistle
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #8569059th Nov 2011 7:11 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Whilst on this topic, but slightly Off Topic so apologies... who pays for the fuel used on call outs? Is it out of your own pocket?

Post #8569079th Nov 2011 7:17 pm
iconix

United Kingdom 

Most agencies pay/should pay mileage, after all they're getting a free service effectively.
it depends what deal is done between your group and the requesting agency. In our case, on average, it hovers around 50p per mile

Post #8569189th Nov 2011 7:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gordons

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interseting concept this insured by someone other than your insurer. I am pretty sure that it is illegal in the UK to simultaneously have 2 insurance policies on the same vehicle, the question from this is how is a CC getting away with that.

I would suggest that this runs similar to the village response scheme here in AVDC, Bucks where you are nsured for items, people carried, anything outside of the normal car insurance i.e. you have to go into a field (off road) to get to someone etc. The principle here is if you are on the road and dink something then it is your insurance, if you pick up someone and they get hurt whilst in your "care" it is the CC insurance.

I would like to see a policy that insures a vehicle when you are "at work (voluntary)" and then does not cover you, interesting.

Post #8569449th Nov 2011 8:25 pm
A1GSS

England 

Public liability is picked up by the local or public authoriy provided THEY CALL YOU OUT. If not, you're on your own initiative, you have no PL cover.

Your vehicle insurance and third party insurance is always your reponsibility and you really should get confirmation in writing from your insurers. My two LRs are on different policies, one is covered (agreement in writing) and one is not (refusal in writing).

Be very careful. You could find yourself uninsured with no malice intended but a years ban, £1000 fine and an "uninsurable" tag on your Experian record. If you work for an insurer (as I do) you could also lose your job (as I would).
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #8569619th Nov 2011 8:47 pm
euangibson

So Graham,I need to be clear on this before I get involved......
MY insurance need to be notified (possibly using the excellent covering letter provided by iconix)if I offer my services......but if the Community Council request my help,I should be covered under their PL Insurance (subject to me checking the small print on their policy)?

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #8569729th Nov 2011 9:05 pm
A1GSS

England 

well, probably... you need to be very clear on the difference between Public Liability (eg risks related to random third parties unconnected with your car) and any risks whatever connected with or related to your vehicle insurance. No council will insure your car. If you get this wrong it's your problem in the eyes of the law, no-one else's. Get a letter froom your insurers confirming you are covered.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #8570069th Nov 2011 10:20 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

In simple terms - if you crash your car and hurt someone that's down to your insurers so get them to confirm voluntary work is covered.

If whilst on call out at the council's request you slip and spill the meals on wheels over Mrs Miggins and she sues, the council's PL cover will deal with that bit.

Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #8570149th Nov 2011 10:53 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Euan,

Have you contacted/joined your local part of the "4x4 Response Network" which is "Borders 4x4 Response"? All this has been gone through by them already. The letter to insurers idea is well out of date as UK Government has "required" insurers to cover volunteer duties for some years now.

There is also a lot of useful stuff on the ABI website at http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumer...ving_.aspx
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #8570269th Nov 2011 11:33 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just looking into this myself having volunteered for Wessex 4x4 Response group.

Does anyone know what NFU's official requirement should be as they aren't in the list on the ABI web site. The local office here rang an underwriter who said they would require business use, but I've been told by others that they don't. Banging Head

Regarding the need to tell your insurer, Antoniasdad and Ruggedpeak have it right: The voluntary organisation will cover any liability related to what you're doing, but you must ensure that your motor insurer is covering you for driving in the course of volunteer work or you could end up uninsured and in the load of bother.

Post #85704710th Nov 2011 12:48 am
euangibson

Navigator...great link.
My insurance company,Swifcover,don't charge for this,so I suppose its just a question of letting them know that I will be doing voluntary work. Thumbs Up
I had a look earlier at Borders 4x4 response,but I actually work strange hours in December,and any commitment would have to be on my terms ie when it suits me.....hope that doesn't sound selfish,its just that work commitments come first and I guess 4x4 response would need more flexibility ?

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #85706610th Nov 2011 7:43 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If the Borders group is set up similar to Wessex then they send an SMS to multiple people who might be local to the request, and whoever responds first goes. So there's no need to worry about not being available when you're working - you just respond when you can Thumbs Up

Post #85718010th Nov 2011 3:17 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

When you join a group you will become known to them and be able to go through such things as security and PVG CRB in England) checks, level of kit, communications, etc in advance. If someone suddenly "appeared out of the woodwork" with an offer of help at a busy time they are likely to be politely turned down because these things are not in place and there will be no resources available to do so then.

People who work odd hours are very handy to have in a group as requests for assistance also come at odd hours.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #85718510th Nov 2011 3:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >