4 Wheel Alignment......Why Bother?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What? My rambling or the S word Rolling with laughter
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #40009110th Jan 2009 9:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shrinky

Even worse. I have to put up with it until the 28th Twisted Evil Thats the soonest they can fit me in Twisted Evil
Post #40347916th Jan 2009 5:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shrinky

Unbelievable Thud They had it all day to tell me there was nothing wrong with it. It is the camber on the road Evil or Very Mad I know it isn't as it was ok before they aligned it.

They also couldn't fix my parking sensors Rolling Eyes It has to go in again on the 9th for 2 days for further investigation on both issues Banging Head
Post #41081928th Jan 2009 7:53 pm
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Going back for 4th alignment in 2 months

World wide problem --- my steering wheel is off center - and I've gone back 3 times so far...I purchased new tires - thought it best to get an alignment - I regret that decision....should have just got the new tires.
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #41103529th Jan 2009 3:07 am
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Shrinky wrote:
Unbelievable Thud They had it all day to tell me there was nothing wrong with it. It is the camber on the road Evil or Very Mad I know it isn't as it was ok before they aligned it.

They also couldn't fix my parking sensors Rolling Eyes It has to go in again on the 9th for 2 days for further investigation on both issues Banging Head

Shrinky,
With all the bad feedback about Stratstones, and your current experience with them, you really should take it somewhere else. Even I know not to go there, and I live on a different continent. Smile

Post #41103829th Jan 2009 3:20 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had a level steering wheel and was pulling to the left. Went in for alignment and now I have a crooked steering wheel and a correct alignment. The crooked steering wheel is annoying, but the dealer didn't steal $ from my D3 this time so I feel like I should leave it as is rather than go back.

Anyone know if its easy to remove the airbag and reposition the steering wheel to a level position ourselves?
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #41104729th Jan 2009 5:58 am
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

It took three alignments before mine was made right, but I recently had it done again by the Dubai dealer under warranty and I found out that the car has had a problem since new (about a year now... Rolling Eyes ). The steering used to feel excessively heavy (I thought it was just the way it was) but now feels light as a feather, and the car doesn't change lanes by itself. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Post #41104829th Jan 2009 6:04 am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 

the place next door to our work has a hunter wheel allignment machine they just paid bout 50k+ for it they do all the rally cars / racing cars for formula 1 and the WRC teams they can adjust anything if it can be, i.e caster, camber ,toe and loads of others front and back i had my FFRR done and the rear was out and the front after it was done it drove so much better if you could get down to the midland id get them to look at it for you Thumbs Up

Post #41144629th Jan 2009 8:47 pm
Shrinky

Seeing as I have already paid good money for it to be Censored up, I am reluctant to cough up even more dosh. I will see how they get on next time and if they still can't fix it I wll take you up on the offer Thumbs Up
Post #41145329th Jan 2009 9:03 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

character wrote:
had the laser alignment done coz I didnt trust what they'd done, was right as well, had to be re-adjusted by imperial. Rolling Eyes

so did you charge this back against the stealer or change dealers

Post #41162730th Jan 2009 9:05 am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 

the laser type off allignment equipment that sit over the tyre are complete wast of time and they are completely wa%k and just a money spinner thats it they have very little accuracy and i would never use one again rant over

Post #41195430th Jan 2009 6:56 pm
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

jjvd21 wrote:
Anyone know if its easy to remove the airbag and reposition the steering wheel to a level position ourselves?

Doesn't work like that. Steering wheel engages the clockspring, which in turn requires specific orientation to the upper steering column assembly. The entire column assembly is keyed all the way to the rack.

Did you have the tie rod ends or tie rods replaced at the same time? Generally, this kind of mess-up occurs when either the alignment is performed with the steering wheel in the wrong position, or the toe is incorrect, or one tie rod end is over-set relative to the other (which can happen when replaced).

I would take it back - tell them you feel the steering's loose and maybe the tie rods needs to be replaced.

Besides - the steering angle sensor is calibrated to the correct alignment of the entire steering assembly, so it's better to just fix the thing that's actually wrong.

Post #41243031st Jan 2009 8:26 pm
Shrinky

It's fixed Very Happy Back to how it was when new. I am so pleased/relieved Very Happy
Post #4188409th Feb 2009 11:08 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

just as well in this weather, would have got a bit confusing in the snow and ice to have the wheel out of alignment Rolling with laughter

Post #4188449th Feb 2009 11:13 pm
Lord Dust

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So this is a new vehicle to me, I've always had Defenders

I'ts three years old and i've had to sort out a few problems that have maybe been ignored by previous owners

One of them.....all four tyres were wearing on the inside, the fronts big time! Found the spare was down to the canvas!

The vehicle was tramlining like a pointy oversteer sports car - so it had to be toe-in and camber correction

Main stealer wanted something near £300 for a full alignment Shocked

But today had all four re-aligned locally by Tyre and Exhaust centre with a laser clip on the wheel machine - which confirmed my suspicion that there was massive toe-in on the front (especially front L), and incorrect toe in on all four, camber was also out on all four, and on the front this would make it pointy

it now drives like an on/off road beast and doesn't feel like it will slip off the road!

Of course now it's down to getting new tyres and seeing how they last!

Me thinks AT2's

Post #42824124th Feb 2009 9:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >