DISCO3.CO.UK > General

24,000 miles with a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DickyH wrote:
Have to confess that we've also been looking at a Toyota Landcruiser ........... I think if you are honest, many of you would have to admit that it is the sensible and reliable place to put £30k,

All very sensible ...but aside from being exceptionally old in design,the Toyota lacks one major feature that comes as standard with the D3 and still seriously affects me everyday, even after 9 months.............................. and thats 'permagrin' Mr. Green
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #765327th Aug 2006 11:52 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

disco wrote:
My heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you mean!! Not allowed to talk negative on here so will be quick. I understand that all systems are linked by fibre optic. Apparently LED driven with an average life 7 years - What doe this mean down the line?? I can't remember who told me off (warned me quietly) about being negative (I thought I was exercising my right to free opinion).

Well to prove that I am being POSITIVE I would buy one before Toyota 9 times out of 10.

Go away... please.

The DISCOVERY 3 IS FINE !!!

Post #765367th Aug 2006 11:55 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Maybe disco if you actually had one... you could talk with authority here instead of starting and posting complete balderdash.

bye bye matey

Post #765387th Aug 2006 11:57 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I took a long time researching before I decided on another disco. (previously had TD5)
Checked this forum and found a multitude of issues cropping up and was concerned whether LR had dealt with quality and reliability issues.
My observation was that complaints were getting less and LR were dealing with the issues.
Decided to buy on the basis of value for money.
11,000km now just had first service, a few niggly issues but all fixed by dealer without question.
usual answer to problem being: Oh yes there is a service bulletin for that.
Compare to VW.
Compare to VW.
Bought golf 2.0 TDI
On the day I picked it up I took it back to dealer due to vibration at 1500 rpm, back to dealer for software upgrade, vibration worsens poor response at low revs, new clutch packs to dsg box, turbo whine, new turbo, smoking at start up, personal letter to MD of VW Australia: no reply new air fow meter, new diesel pump, new one-way valve to fuel system, smoking on acceleration bad shudder at 12-1500 rpm on hills, another personal letter to MD: told dealer she would ring me personally; letter from 'customer relations' telling me what the dealer had already told me, they will replace the entire transmission. Transmission replaced great for one week then back to shudder on hills and performance becomes erratic with no tractability at low revs. VW balmed everything except the car,: (German turbos are different, you used bad fuel, you are driving too conservatively (my wife thought that one was funny), you don't know diesel cars.
Threatened legal action and with the support of the dealer they eventually replaced the vehicle.
I would not describe this German brand as reliable, but it is the customer service I have found different, LR admit they have issues and want to get it right. I can find all the service bulletins on the net if I pay a small fee, for VW they are a closely guarded secret, (because German cars are perfect?)
For me LR are doing a good job with a very technically complex new model, at the least the are making the effort.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #765598th Aug 2006 4:22 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

disco wrote:
I understand that all systems are linked by fibre optic.
no, only the MOST (infotainment) links are fibre optic the high & low speed CANbus are copper twisted pairs
disco wrote:
Apparently LED driven with an average life 7 years
All fibre optics are LED driven Rolling Eyes try adding 23 to the life expectancy
disco wrote:
I can't remember who told me off (warned me quietly) about being negative (I thought I was exercising my right to free opinion).
that's probably because it didn't happen Rolling Eyes
Nobody objects to negative posts as long as they are in context, factual and not designed to wind others up!

If you want cold, hard facts, here's one:-

you're a knob

Post #765688th Aug 2006 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hey TFC, what way is that to speak to prospective D3 owners! You could have put it in bold & bigger font, better chance of message getting through! Shocked

Post #765708th Aug 2006 8:25 am
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Well, I feel qualified to speak here as no-one can have had more problems than I with my D3 (as previously documented on the forum).

With better parts availability/Dealership however, then I wouldn't have been so narked over the first trouble ridden 16K miles.

HOWEVER, now having been out of the garage for 8K consecutive miles ( Shocked ) I see the vehicle in a different light. Having lugged huge loads about the place, carried many people/luggage/dogs all at once with the greatest of ease & comfort I can honestly say I would have another.

The 2 mistakes I made were going to the particular dealership I chose & buying the vehicle 6 months too early before many of the issues came to light
 Richard  
Post #765728th Aug 2006 8:40 am
JMC

Scotland 

Given that the dealer seems to have a major impact on the D3, perhaps we should start a league table with an Oscar / Razzy award at the end? Who needs the JD Power survey when we could award our own dealer of the year accolade here.

Perhaps we could have a list of all franchised dealers, and an ability for registered members/owners to post dynamic feedback (on a scale of 1 - 10 after each dealer 'experience') which would affect the overall scoreboard. No need to have a story behind each one - just a simple top ten (or 100) of dealers in categories of sales and service which could be used by others as word-of-mouth to aid them in their choice of visit.

Sorry if this is slightly Off Topic Martin, can you do this or am I missing the obvious commercial thing here (which would of course spoil the thing)??

Post #765758th Aug 2006 8:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Hey TFC, what way is that to speak to prospective D3 owners! You could have put it in bold & bigger font, better chance of message getting through! Shocked
'Genuine' prospective owners wouldn't post tripe like that Rolling Eyes
most seem to use the info on the site (good and bad) to form a measured opinion of the vehicle, from the feedback from new owners, most seem to take a positive opinion and accept that there may be a few minor niggles - almost always the case on vehicles of the D3's complexity. There are also simpler vehicles with bigger problems, as mentioned by Caver D3

Post #765778th Aug 2006 8:57 am
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Slightly off track here, but do any of you keep an eye on the "Reader Reviews" section of the Whatcar Magazine website? The D3 has taken a bit of a hammering. It may be worth some of us with experience of living with the D3 to post some reviews detailing more recent reliability experiences.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=678

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #765868th Aug 2006 9:18 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

10forcash wrote:
you're a knob

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #765898th Aug 2006 9:20 am
Ken

dickgriff wrote:
10forcash wrote:
you're a knob

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Could not have said it better Razz

Post #765918th Aug 2006 9:21 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

My first early build D1 had every emagineable thing go wrong and sold it before waranty expired ! But dont get me wrong it was a very comfortable and economical car, and when it was going it kept me smiling Smile
Then came a Subaru then GQ Patrole, and Landcruser 100, all these had no problems at all, but they had no high tech stuff like the D3 ,I have had some issues that have been fixed by the dealer and I am realy pleased with the car.
Just talk to other owners of BMW, MERC, AUDY etc with there high tech stuff and see all the problems they have! Crying or Very sad
We have nothing to worrey about the D3 its GREAT! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rob

Post #765938th Aug 2006 9:24 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
Given that the dealer seems to have a major impact on the D3, perhaps we should start a league table with an Oscar / Razzy award at the end? Who needs the JD Power survey when we could award our own dealer of the year accolade here.

Perhaps we could have a list of all franchised dealers, and an ability for registered members/owners to post dynamic feedback (on a scale of 1 - 10 after each dealer 'experience') which would affect the overall scoreboard. No need to have a story behind each one - just a simple top ten (or 100) of dealers in categories of sales and service which could be used by others as word-of-mouth to aid them in their choice of visit.

Sorry if this is slightly Off Topic Martin, can you do this or am I missing the obvious commercial thing here (which would of course spoil the thing)??

I Wouldn't have thought that posting positive choices / experiences would be a problem. However, given the service some of us have received from certain dealers, I am pretty certain that to 'name and shame' would verge on the 'potential libel' fringe and risk closing the site down.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #765948th Aug 2006 9:30 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DickyH wrote:
To be honest, some of the issues with D3 are putting me off ordering one. There seem to be so many, some serious, some not so, thatyou really have to question what these motors will be like when they are say 5 years old. The wife and I are looking to buy something (with our own money, not a company car), and realistically will want/need to keep it for maybe 8 years. Whilst I realise that many of the issues are slowly getting sorted by upgrades etc, I wonder how private owners will fair at 5 years plus if all of the various computer controls and electronics on the car start to go into meltdown.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a superb machine and most definitely has the potential to be the best of it's type without question, and I have also been a Disco fan for many years. Having said that though, it just seems that the quality and reliability is not there, nor is the level of dealer support that you really should expect with a £30K+ car.
Have to confess that we've also been looking at a Toyota Landcruiser (yes, I know that is a swear word on here - sorry!). I know that technologically it lags behind the D3, but it is a very nice machine; well put together, undoubtedly very capable and unquestionably reliable. I think if you are honest, many of you would have to admit that it is the sensible and reliable place to put £30k, particularly if you do not happen to have money to burn.
Unfortunately then, I'm running out of justifications to buy the D3. It is a stunning machine without question, but I am really torn between the two now. Heart undoubtedbly says D3, but head firmly says Landcruiser.
Any (objective if possible) comments would be useful...

We were in a very similar situation this time last year.

Our own money to put down on a family car to last us 8 years plus.

One year on - don't regret it a bit!
My only concern is that potential government meddling with RFL rates will kill the residuals and running costs.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #765968th Aug 2006 9:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >