Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

2016 Discovery 4 only starts with ether/starter fluid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JafaDiscoIV

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
2016 Discovery 4 only starts with ether/starter fluid

Hi guys, In need of a little help again..

Got this 2016 D4 with 51k miles about a month ago. Was always slightly slow to start, nothing terrible, 3 seconds maybe. Once started it performed perfectly. Car had a cigarette stink to it so I left it idling for 15 minutes with a odor bomb going off. Smelt better. Went out next morning and all of a sudden it wont start, just cranking quickly at 185rpm.
During diagnosis I found no codes, other than a failure to start (P0A0F), 7lbs low pressure fuel at the schrader bleed valve, fuel at injectors (for some reason I don't have a fuel pressure readout on my OBD scanner, just desired pressure, but I do on my 2014 discovery 4), no signal going to the injectors however.
After trying everything I could think of, I tried spraying some starter fluid and it fired right up. Took it down the road and it performed perfectly, got back shut it off for 5 seconds and it restarted after approx 2 seconds of cranking. Shut it off and waited 30 seconds but it would no longer start. The car now only starts with ether.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Post #22003108th Jan 2021 11:05 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say one of the injectors ls leaking to much fuel so the common rail cannot generate enough pressure to start, can you see the rail pressure on live data?

You can get proper leak off test kits cheap as chip on ebay, or remove one leak off pipe at a time and see how much fuel comes out of that injector when cranked for say 5 seconds, repeat for all six cylinders.

Have a look on youtube, there will be some vids explaining what to look for.

Airvidox for the in car smell, it lasts unlike the car bombs, not cheap but really good.

Post #22003409th Jan 2021 1:29 am
JafaDiscoIV

Re: 2016 Discovery 4 only starts with ether/starter fluid

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I would say one of the injectors ls leaking to much fuel so the common rail cannot generate enough pressure to start, can you see the rail pressure on live data?

You can get proper leak off test kits cheap as chip on ebay, or remove one leak off pipe at a time and see how much fuel comes out of that injector when cranked for say 5 seconds, repeat for all six cylinders.

Have a look on youtube, there will be some vids explaining what to look for.

Airvidox for the in car smell, it lasts unlike the car bombs, not cheap but really good.

I was suspicious of the high pressure feed/leakage too. I've already checked all the hardline pipes minus the rear two on the HPFP, I'll try and reach those today. That was until I saw I didn't have a live fuel rail pressure reading (whereas I do on my 2014 D4), so I've ordered a new fuel rail pressure sensor to see if that makes a difference. I've also noticed the 'Fuel Pressure Relief Control Valve' and 'Fuel Volume Control Valve' both have a lower duty cycle than my 2014 D4 potentially suggesting lower than usual fuel pressure?

Post #22003969th Jan 2021 11:47 am
lynalldiscovery

Tbh I have little to no idea on cars, but Iirc the trucks need minimum 200 bar in the rail before they will start, and I cannot see the cars being much different?

I dont think it will be an external high pressure leak, ie you wont phusically see it, rather one of the injectors is passing to much fuel and it is this what stops the high pressure building, hence doing a leak off test.

Has the car ever been misfuelled?

Last edited by lynalldiscovery on 10th Jan 2021 7:56 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #220062010th Jan 2021 7:47 am
lynalldiscovery

This is for a ford 4 pot, but I am sure the specs will be out there for the 3.0 as well.

https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Injec...HhTdCaN6GQ

Post #220062110th Jan 2021 7:55 am
JafaDiscoIV

Fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail was not the issue. After the leak-off test kit arrived, I found that injectors 2, 3 and 4 all exceeded the maximum of 20ml/minute. After idling for just 19 seconds, cylinders #2 and #3 were at 45ml and cylinder #4 was at 60ml. I have 3 replacement injectors on the way and I'll report back when they're fitted.

Post #220303517th Jan 2021 12:54 pm
JafaDiscoIV

Injectors arrived today. Fitted fairly easily using new seals and washers. Fired up straight away and, more importantly, continues to do so. Thanks for your help Lynall, very pleased.

Post #220369019th Jan 2021 7:14 pm
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Is it a big job to replace injectors? Expensive?

I have a 2016 SDV6 that I just picked up yesterday, slow to start but runs fine once started. Only 60k miles on it. Had a 2014 and 2015 TDV6 that fired up straight away.

Post #23413876th Jul 2023 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >