Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

2012 ....RIP D4 ...Hello 7 seat RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

FL2 is getting a facelift this September (more mini RRS than at present). There's a new FL2 (FL3?) due 2012MY I believe? Early hints on the FL2 website from someone in the know suggest a boxier, more practical shape.

After a chat with my accountant yesterday, the D3 may well be making way for a 110 USW in the next few months. Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #6335188th Apr 2010 8:46 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Verydisco wrote:
It would be the first name to be droped from the brand !

Anyway, the spirit of the current (and past) disco may live in the next Defedender (or a new product eventualy) as the Defender II ( Rolling Eyes ) will have to cover the job of at basic current Defender and the HSE D3 (the D4 being somewhat a RRS 7 seater already)

Therefore the Defender II may be a D3 clone in some part of its range
, one could even imagine a "Defender Discovery" ! Whistle

Return of the 110 County?

Post #6335618th Apr 2010 9:58 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Where would the LRX fit in? Won't that replace the FL2? Doesn't make sense to have them both.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #6335668th Apr 2010 10:06 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nigel, the County spec still exists - sat halfway between "you get seats sir, now be grateful and go away" and the XS (which has seats AND aircon)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #6336599th Apr 2010 7:43 am
SN

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/...er/248675/
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6336779th Apr 2010 8:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Renton wrote:
Where would the LRX fit in? Won't that replace the FL2? Doesn't make sense to have them both.
LRX is ALSO a Rangie - you're gonna see just the Defender and FL2 as LR's with everything else being RR

LR are just following Toyota with their 'fake' Lexus approach Rolling Eyes

An old story of course, remember BMC with its Wolseley brand Laughing
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6336799th Apr 2010 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Verydisco

Location: A bit there, a bit over there and sometime at home, France

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

SN wrote:
Renton wrote:
LRX is ALSO a Rangie - you're gonna see just the Defender and FL2 as LR's with everything else being RR

LR are just following Toyota with their 'fake' Lexus approach Rolling Eyes

An old story of course, remember BMC with its Wolseley brand Laughing

I'd say it is more about Land Rover coming back to its roots and concentrating on the tough, basic 4X4 and pick-up markets worldwide (green won't stop manufacturer from selling utilitatarien vehicule before a while !) and letting run the Range Rover brand until the SUV market, even as green as possible, dies out within a decade or so.

Then it is smart to separate the two brands asap : the LR utility brand and the luxury suv one. If one comes to die, the other won't suffer much from it, at least not as much as if it was a single brand.

Voilà
 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:Ool======loO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - Orkney Grey, on Black, on Piano Black.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
FREELANDER 2 Td4 HSE "000" - Santorinin Black on Black
Gap Diagnostics' Classic and BT IID Tools!

Previous:
RANGE ROVER TDV8 x3
RANGE ROVER Td6 x1
RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1
DISCOVERY III x3
DISCOVERY II x3
DISCOVERY I x4 

Post #6337479th Apr 2010 12:42 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Taken from Autocar :

Land Rover’s long-term product plan has taken a back seat while the Range Rover line-up has been given priority.

The recent Discovery revamp has assured the seven-seater a future in its current form until 2014 at least, and Project Icon, the plan to replace the Defender, is being finalised.

Read 'New Range Rover lightens up' http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248675/

But the long-term strategic direction of the Land Rover brand and its model range is still being firmed up.

Significantly, there isn’t yet a concrete production plan for the next-generation Discovery after 2014, and the replacement for the Freelander is still up in the air. Likewise the project to create a seven-seat Freelander (codename L486) was quietly shelved when the effects of the economic crisis struck in 2009.

There are many reasons for this uncertainty, but the significant one has been justifying the hefty investment while LR’s strategy was unclear, in contrast to the strong case for replacing Range Rover products.

The Ford sell-off also had an effect, and key decisions were delayed during the process. Then Tata needed to get acquainted with its new purchase before signing off any new models.

This process was duly followed by the global financial meltdown, forcing JLR into survival rather than expansion mode. It’s easy to see why decisions have been taking so long.

What’s more, a new management team — Carl-Peter Forster at Tata Motors and Ralf Speth at JLR — needs to be comfortable with the future plan before investment is committed.

Tied in to all of these strategic decisions is the future of Land Rover’s Solihull plant, expected to be named for closure by the middle of this decade.

At least a slightly more certain economic outlook has allowed a consensus on Land Rover’s direction to emerge, although alternatives are understood to be under consideration.

The idea is to reposition Land Rover closer to its utility roots, a move that will create more space between the brand and Range Rover. Today’s cars overlap too much — the Discovery is in essence a seven-seat Range Rover — and the forthcoming Range Rover LRX will tread on the Freelander’s toes.

JLR estimates there’s a three-million-vehicle market worldwide for pick-ups and utility 4x4s, and currently Land Rover sells just 25,000 units into that sector. How Land Rover expands its range with models that fit its brand image and extends its appeal globally is occupying the company’s best brains right now.

The existence of the seven-seat Range Rover Sport tells us a lot about the thinking on the post-2014 Discovery, too. The first seven-seat Range Rover will take over where today’s Discovery leaves off.

But there is also an idea to make a new seven-seat Discovery closer to the 1989 original. Based around the new Project Icon/Defender platform, it would be rugged and mechanically relatively simple, but more luxurious than the Defender, while being far more workmanlike than its Range Rover siblings.

More importantly, it would be designed to appeal to a global audience, particularly in developing countries and the BRICs: Brazil, Russia, India and China. The latter is already Land Rover’s third-biggest market after the UK and US. Success with the Icon Project and the Defender/Discovery might ultimately make it the biggest.

Post #6337969th Apr 2010 1:50 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

To be honest the above makes a lot of sense Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6338019th Apr 2010 2:02 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Welcome to the Dark Side! Laughing
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6338099th Apr 2010 2:13 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Laughing
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6338129th Apr 2010 2:15 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hmmmmmmmm!

Martin we need a "Beyond the Facelifted D3 (some call it a D4) Section! Whistle

Post #6339169th Apr 2010 6:00 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Auotcar this week

Others must have seen it, Autocar this week with the monocoque FFRR and the indication
/ thought that the Discovery may leave the upmarket shadow of RR and become a posh Defender on project Icon.

Interesting article, which makes sense if true.

This post has been edited by the site administration team
merged

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #63433110th Apr 2010 9:35 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

nice to see that hybrids will use capacitors instead of batteries in the autocar article. bolivia has 60% of the worlds Lithium and would become the new opec.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #63436210th Apr 2010 11:13 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

read the autocar article this week and a it made a lot of sense.. for me the D4 has already moved the discovery towards a 7 seater RRS.. with similar suspension set ups and a glitzy front end.. it is also telling that the majority of the improvements made to the D4 compared with the D3 improve onroad rather than offroad performance.

hopefullu the FFRR will look better than the FFRR mock ups ..... looks like a FL2 that's bulked.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #63436310th Apr 2010 11:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >