DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

2010/11 Keyfob Repair or Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
2010/11 Keyfob Repair or Upgrade

Although from a 2010 Range Rover / Sport, and so has additional lettering, I am sure many earlier Discovery 4 owners also have these rather large and heavy Key fobs that are prone to looking very shabby when the rubber starts to ripple & peel off around the edges.

Click image to enlarge

I have however recently discovered that it is now possible to replace the Plastics / Rubber parts for new.

See this Technical bulletin which also lists the part numbers and shows how to take the Fob apart.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...10Keys.pdf

Although this would be a great improvement, I would still have some quite scruffy metal parts and a large heavy fob and what I would really like to have for my vehicle is the later, smaller, lighter and smoother pebble shaped fob.

Click image to enlarge

I had already purchased a number of these later fobs brand new from Ebay and so decided to open both types up.

Click image to enlarge

On the new type there are a couple of small melted plastic pegs holding the PCB and a plastic cover that can be shaved around and give way pretty easily and on the old Type to the Right the PCB just lifts out.

I have also included the Key Blades for the fobs on this picture to show you how they are different. Basically for leverage the older type clips to the key body and the newer has its own little flip out handle.

Amazingly as you can see in the picture the PCB's from each fob type are near identical with just a little size difference on the top right and bottom right corners.

Click image to enlarge

On inspecting the other half of the case I discovered that the top right actually fitted and only a very small amount was required to be removed on the lower right.
However with their being no tracks I filed them both down more than enough

Click image to enlarge

I had left enough on my posts to clip the plastic cover on but could have used a couple of dabs of glue. Then I re fitted the Battery, clipped the cases back together and re assembled the key blade and slide cover.

Those with an eagle eye will note on the picture showing the Key Blades that they are both cut the same to suit my locks.

I am a bit of a perfectionist in these things, so It is with great thanks to TLO who helped me order the Later Key Blade type but with an earlier VIN number so the cut was correct.

Other alternates are to just keep the Blade from the early key in the late one, which really only means that if ever you have to use it you might need to find something to apply a little more leverage to turn it in the door lock. A coin in the end actually works quite well.

Colin

Post #127429924th Apr 2014 10:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good discovery (excuse the pun!) Thumbs Up

Do you know if the later type case is available on its own, or does the complete unit need to be purchased (about £49 on eBay IIRC)?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #127445724th Apr 2014 5:29 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I think the earlier key is far better than the pebble key - which also scratches really easily. I wouldn't go back - but then I would change the earlier one for the later either.

good discovery though
 Mike  
Post #127484525th Apr 2014 11:05 am
J77

Scotland 

I have this for my key

Only downside is it says Rover Rover

23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #127497525th Apr 2014 3:24 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers chaps
Yea i was pretty surprised to Discover ( Whistle ) that both earlier and later fobs contained what is almost an identical PCB that can be so easily interchanged between them, albiet with a little filing of the PCB if you are going from old to new.

Compared to what it takes to cut open a D3 fob which i once also posted about, just to replace the battery things are now vastly better and easier.

Since LR have now also provided a refurb option for the earlier fobs the choices are now quite diverse and at least can be done to anyones preference Thumbs Up

And although i do not see any just cases being offered on EBAY it does seem like there are other options outer case protection options emerging and in any event a sub 50 GBP cost is far less than a new key.
IF my new key got scratched up i would happily just replace the case again.

J77, i think you mean Range Rover instead of Rover Rover which i did once see on a bonnet Rolling with laughter

Post #127550726th Apr 2014 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

Embarassed Embarassed

It did come from china Laughing
Post #127563526th Apr 2014 10:32 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

One question:

Could the new key be coded to an earlier key type car?

(Of course I understand that this is an adaption of the old internals to the new case)

Post #127564726th Apr 2014 11:51 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Here you go J77, i found the picture Laughing Laughing Laughing

I promise no photo shopping, and not made up. I was actually chatting with the sevice manager in his office when the mechanic came in to tell him that the customer had returned the Sport she had only had a few days before noticing it. He was a bit annoyed that this had not been picked up on PDI

CUCO:
Although i have coded several keys now, I have not actually learned a later key to a newer vehicle myself yet, or vice versa.
However i have always believed that it would be possible and now i know that the internals are electronically identical, and it was pretty much just a re design of the case to go around the existing PCB, i am even more convinced.

Post #127582027th Apr 2014 3:30 pm
J77

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter

Shame for the owner, especially if someone else noticed before her.
Post #127584027th Apr 2014 4:23 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I actually goes a bit deeper than that J77.
The vehicle taxation rates here, especially on brand new vehicles, more than double the cost of such vehicles as this compared to UK prices.

And the choices here are no where near as flexible with just a couple of spec options.
the higher spec choice automatically includes SAT NAV which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard here in Cyprus as the Maps do not cover Cyprus at all.

Post #127587427th Apr 2014 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >