Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

2006 LR3 - After Market Reverse Parking Sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
a12lr3

2006 LR3 - After Market Reverse Parking Sensors

Has anyone installed an after market, reverse parking sensor system? If so, I was wondering which one and how the install went. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Post #10359321st Nov 2006 5:48 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, I did it, I just bougth a mid priced one (around $50) with 4 sensors. Drilled out of back bumper at the same place as the factory fitted is installed, get all the wires back to the car behind the left rear tailligth and tapped the + ,which switched by gear reverse switch (it is in the junction behind the left rear tailligth).

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #10376922nd Nov 2006 10:05 am
a12lr3

Which brand did you buy? Was it tough running the wires back to the left tail light? Thanks

Post #10386422nd Nov 2006 3:33 pm
AN

It wasn't realy a branded product, it was made in China/Taiwan, I trashed the paper box already.

Behind the plastic bumper there is a square steel profile (this is the "real" bumper),and if you drill out the back plastic bumper at the same place as the factory fitted sensors, you will find that there are holes in the steel profile. You can put the wires through the holes and get it into the steel profile and get it to the left tailligth. I recon it is easier to do by two people and you need some long hard steel wire to guide/pull the sensor wires.

You have to pull the sensor wire through the grommet behind the tailligth and can tap the + which is switched by gearlever for the parking sensor main box. I left (sticked) the main box inside the car behind the tailligth.

From the main box I guided the wire to behind the top of the 2nd row seat and sticked the sounder there.

It's works very well, only problem that the sounder is not that loud, but I never bodered to put it in front of the dash.

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #10395222nd Nov 2006 7:43 pm
a12lr3

Thank you

Post #10396122nd Nov 2006 8:06 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, I have successfully fitted aftermarket ultrasonic parking sensors to my previous D2 and also to my new D3 – base 7. Both vehicles have a steel bumper (fender) behind the outer plastic one but whereas I had to use under-bumper mounted sensors on the D2, I used through bumper sensors on the D3. The preformed holes in the steel, which are used to locate the LR sensors in the higher spec. models can be used for the aftermarket option. The only problem is correctly locating the sensor position when you are not able to see the preformed holes behind the plastic covering. If the position of each sensor is not exactly right, it can look a botched job.

I decided to mark the position by drawing around the perimeter of the preformed holes with a marker pen and then removing the plastic bumper, where the location of each hole can be clearly seen. Removing the bumper takes a little longer but is simple and the sensors can be fitted before replacement. I hope I have explained that clearly.

The sensor cables can be fed into the left side of the vehicle through an existing waterproof grommet, no problems there. Access to the reverse lamp feed and positioning of the audible and LED warnings are straightforward. I positioned the LED above the rear door at roof height. You will find that adhesive tape supplied with the bleeper does not stick onto the wall lining so I used a clip.

The whole job took me about five hours with the usual coffee breaks. I have posted a couple of photo's in my gallery. The black box controller is stuck to the wall inside the lower hatch (near to the fuses)

Points to note*

1. Choose a sensor that is compatible with a towbar
2. Ensure that the sensor is effective from at least 1 ½ metres to allow for an open tailgate.
3. Choose a four sensor system.

The following UK websites might be useful:

www.parkingsensors.co.uk
www.reverseinsafety.co.uk
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #10404423rd Nov 2006 5:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AN

I used a little bit easier (at least for me) method to locate the rigth place for the sensor.

I went to the dealer and measured the location of the factory fitted sensors on a D3 (LR3) in their showroom and using this measurement I drilled the hole on my car bumper.

Regards, AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #10405823rd Nov 2006 8:58 am
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

AN
Good idea, I probably did it the hard way but if you get the alignment slightly wrong, I guess it would be hard to live with and probably means a new plastic bumper. I also first drilled very small pilot holes to check alignment prior to drilling the final holes for the reversing sensors.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #10438024th Nov 2006 4:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Parking Sensors

TonyH
What make and model of parking sensors, did you use.
Also woud you please tell me how to remove the rear bumper.
Bar for the bumper removal, it looks quite simple, to install.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #1084929th Dec 2006 5:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >