Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

2005 with low tax or newer car with higher tax ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Darkginger1

United Kingdom 

CongoBoy wrote:
I have a 2008/MY 2009 TDV6 HSE with colour-coded bumpers etc.
With all I have done on it, I cannot justify (to me) selling it and looking for a later D4 in the lower tax bracket.
But when I looked for a Full Fat Supercharged I did specifically look for 2005/before March 2006 MY for the lower tax bracket, which is pretty much half that of the D3.
At the end of the day, if you run a D3/D4, the lower tax bracket is the least of your worries in the big picture of maintaining it!!

yeah thats what worries me

Post #224670415th Aug 2021 5:55 pm
scubble

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i have a 06 plate D3 ( registered 3 days before super tax came in Very Happy ) it took me ages to find it. I was been very picky though with what spec i wanted. One thing to watch out for is the euro rating of the discovery , pre super tax they are all euro 3 engines where as later ones are euro 4s. You will not be allowed into some LEZs with the older ones without paying for them.
 Discovery 3 - Black SE with HSE upgrade  
Post #224692416th Aug 2021 10:01 pm
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

It's an interesting topic.
I went for an older D3 low tax that appeared looked after and FSH just over a year ago.
300 isn't a big deal but.. Knowing someone, I was able to get a full new belts kit, new front discs and pads, new oil filter for the 300 saving plus 19quid and fit it all myself. So in one year, its cost me a rear brake line and rear upper arm I've again done myself for around 100.
I think the key is whatever age and I'm sure most will agree, they will go wrong eventually and you need to be upto a good hobbiest mechanic level.
The savings of 300 a year can stretch to the equivalent of 1000s in garage work if you can DIY it and can get good parts.
I've got some good oil which I've changed so with the arm and brake line I'm 150 into this years saving.
Add another 50 for an autel.
I'm not confident buying a later one won't save me 300 a year in the long term.
And my last note.. I don't know any better but mines manual and only a manual owner will understand this but 3rd gear is your friend for urban driving 😁 if you time your journey islands right lol. I'm not ready to own a pipe and slippers auto just yet 😂

Dog

Post #224872628th Aug 2021 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >