Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 32 <123 45 ... 303132>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

After doing an interior swap out on my other green oval, I had lunch, weather turned awful, and then it cleared late afternoon although cold and windy, Boredom had set in, So I fitted LED reverse lights and fitted the new headlight guards. Very happy with how this car is turning out. I have a welder due out in the morning to give me a price on the work, and then the stuff I was meant to do the other day on the campervan which I still haven't done yet Whistle Laughing But this little beast is off to the garage on Thursday to have the crossover pipe replaced, and hopefully the EPB brake sorted. Looking forward to being able to use it properly.

Post #217624926th Sep 2020 8:03 pm
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

She's looking good Bru!
I did the same last year. Grill. Light guards front but upgraded the rear lights to black disco 4.
I got the appropriate light guards for them but did'nt think they looked as good as the old D3 light guards, so took them off.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #217625726th Sep 2020 8:38 pm
discovery3ski

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I quite like the original rear lights.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 HSE 2007
Alfa GTV CUP
Alfa 156 JTS
Alfa Spider TS
Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Volvo XC70 

Post #217645827th Sep 2020 6:44 pm
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yep. It's definitely a marmite thing!
I've kept the original rear lights on my African Disco but with the light guards, as it has the black wheel guards and the original D3 front grill.
As my MY08 Disco here is a late model with colour coded bumpers,it does look nice with the D4 lights, IMHO, along with the upgraded grill and side vent.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #217645927th Sep 2020 6:52 pm
disco-nut

I am planning on changing the rear lights to the Black 2014 style D4 lights. I know it's all been done before, but I do like the upgrade, and now my neighbour has bought a black 07 D3 with those rear lights, It has made me want them even more Laughing

But for now, money is ultra tight, so the towbar is on ready for it to start work once I get it back from the garage with the centre pipe stainless steel upgrade pipe fitted.

But all efforts are now being concentrated on my friends campervan as it has its MOT tomorrow. And over the last 4 days, I have had to play catch up on all the jobs that were put on the, will do it when I have spare time list Laughing

Post #217659728th Sep 2020 2:09 pm
disco-nut

What a day... The Discovery's recovery was all expected and that went to plan, but nothing else did! The Discovery is now at the garage. Initially I was expecting it to stay for a short period, but been informed that despite the work being planned over 3 weeks in advance, that it could still take weeks before it is done Rolling Eyes And normally I would say that is fine, But my other car broke down in front of the AA today while they were loading the Discovery Rolling with laughter The campervan that I would normally use when the other 2 aren't an option is sat on my garden with a failed MOT and a knackered wheel bearing Rolling with laughter
And my partners car is not available to me unless an emergency Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to getting my Discovery back.

Post #21772111st Oct 2020 4:11 pm
disco-nut

Starting to think I should have just put the money straight into my blue Discovery.

After a long day, I got a phone call stating the garage needed me to go up to be shown what they found.

1. Right rear suspension arm rotten and potentially distorted.
2. Sump pan rotted through.
3. Rubber brake pipe slightly damaged from not being clipped in place.
4. Air pump tank rotted.
5. Fuel Tank cradle thing rotted.
6 Rear Prop bearing non existent.
7. 1 Drop link on the rear snapped.
8. Front wheel bearing.
9. Rear caliper seized.
10. Crossover pipe broken with a coke can and exhaust wrap used to try and bodge it (Previous owner).

I would do the sump pan myself, But it is 30 miles away from home, so paying the garage to sort some of the above out so I can safely get it home.

Crossover pipe, rear upper suspension arm, sump pan, brake hose and pair of rear drop links being done at an estimate of £1100 at the moment. This means that the welding is being put on hold.

Post #21786417th Oct 2020 6:49 pm
disco-nut

Had to pop up to the Discovery to get the old screen out as it is having an upgrade done. Was dreading the job until I realised it only took 5 minutes Laughing Hopefully getting this back Wednesday or Thursday this week. Not soon enough as I need to collect a trailer.

I am also collecting a propshaft for it tomorrow. Got to sweet talk my Mum to use her drive to install that though.

Post #217975112th Oct 2020 8:53 pm
disco-nut

Had hoped to have had my Discovery back today, but can't be helped, the garage have done everything they can and are bending over backwards, Sump has been replaced, prop with a new bearing built by previous owner of the prop has been fitted now, new crossover pipe has been fitted, Just the rear upper suspension arm left for the garage to do. However upon replacing the crossover pipe, another exhaust issue was discovered, The catalytic converter has a split at the flexi pipe joint. So I have bought a decat pipe to fit next week.

Should be getting my car back tomorrow. Hoping I do as it is within a zone that is going to be level 2 lockdown from next week.

Post #218036815th Oct 2020 6:37 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did they manage to replace the exhaust crossover pipe without taking the gearbox off? What kind of quote was it for that job alone?
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #218040115th Oct 2020 9:25 pm
disco-nut

Yes, the crossover pipe was removed without taking the gearbox off, I was told that the engine and gearbox were disconnected from the mounts and tilted either forwards or backwards (I can't remember), to get access, I believe all the studs etc... sheered Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
I haven't collected the car yet, but the estimate before just for the crossover pipe which has had a stainless steel one from JAS Land Rover installed, and estimate was around £740 including the pipe, so labour I think is £300-£400 alone as the pipe was over £400. In all, the bill is going to be roughly £1400.

Really hoping to be collecting this in the morning as I am supposed to be taking my other half out for the rest of the day as a birthday treat which may involve collecting a new project trailer and will include collecting another part for this Discovery.

Post #218042116th Oct 2020 12:41 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You sure know how to spoil the other half Wink

Post #218043616th Oct 2020 7:37 am
disco-nut

What a hell of a day today has been. Got my Discovery back, need to get the rear wheels aligned, not doing 4 wheel alignment for now as a track rod on the front has slight play. However there is a horrible droning sound now coming from underneath which I think may be the bearing on the replacement used propshaft that I bought. Otherwise it drives brilliantly. Very very fast.

Tomorrow afternoon it is having an upgraded sat nav screen fitted as well.

Also went laning today.

Post #218055616th Oct 2020 10:12 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well done in persevering with it. Thumbs Up

Sadly these older cars are going to be money pits and many will have dubious service histories. Sad Unless you really love them, there is a point approaching many where repairs are just not economically worth it. Yes its a lot of car for the money, but they can quickly empty your wallet. Big Cry
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #218056416th Oct 2020 10:30 pm
disco-nut

Value doesn't come into it when it comes to something you drive and use. Only when your are buying and looking to make money on it when you resell it. Hence I couldn't care less what it costs to fix, just have to be careful with the pennies at the moment with the covid-19 situation and the poor handling of it. But back on topic Whistle Laughing 1 or more wheel bearings have starting being noisy I think Rolling with laughter Next on my list after I have picked up my new to me project trailer this week. Then the Discovery can be parked up for a little while as I will runaround in my Range Rover.

Post #218105819th Oct 2020 4:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 32 <123 45 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >