DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

19" tyres - 50 or 55 profile ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MikeS

Wales 
19" tyres - 50 or 55 profile ?

Chaps

Even though I drive a RRS, I'm hoping you can assist me here as it's more likely that you Disco drivers may have experienced different sizes of tyres. I'm looking at getting a full set of tyres for my RRS in the next week or so, something like the Scorpion ATR, but I'm limited on tyre choice given the 19" wheels. Standard it runs a 255/50, but I'm thinking of going up to a 255/55 (which is the size it wore on the G4 Challenge, albeit MTR's). Has anyone gone up a profile or is it not really the done thing ? Just wondering what the effect is likely to be and whether it's just a complete no no. Considering my car ran 55 profile MTR's on the challenge though, I'm thinking it's not an issue. I know D3's run a 55 as standard when on 19's, so it may not be the issue I'm thinking it is.

All comments welcomed.

Cheers

Mike
 BV55 YZE, ex G4 Challenge RRS. So not a Disco 3. Well, not quite.  
Post #6176169th Mar 2010 6:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Shouldn't be an issue, will be a little oversized but there are a few on The Dark Side Wink that use MTRs. They are OK weight rating wise, can't see any reason why not. Unless anyone techie knows why not?? You would prob have to let your insurer know as you'd be running a non standard tyre size.

PS You'd have to have a spare same size as the other 4 or the car might have a hissyfit if you need to use it.

Post #6176239th Mar 2010 6:39 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Increases your gearing 3.5%.

In theory 70mph would then equate to a true 72.5 mph. In reality your speedo probably under-reads by that amount anyway, so it should even out. Smile

Will blunt your acceleration slightly, and 1000miles on your odometer will actually be 1035miles. Is that a form of clocking? Wink

Post #6176329th Mar 2010 7:11 pm
MikeS

Wales 

DSL wrote:
PS You'd have to have a spare same size as the other 4 or the car might have a hissyfit if you need to use it.

Runs on LPG, so I don't have a spare anyway Shocked Laughing

Thumbs Up to the rest though. Think the insurance isn't that much of an issue with the G4's, as standard everything on it is insured as it's taken as factory fit, the tyres they came on were 55 profile. Checked the "bolt-on's" with the insurers when I bought it. Had it still been fitted with MTR's then I wouldn't have had an issue, it is VERY tempting to put a set of those on it anyway but I'm concerned about losing 20% of the fuel economy given the high miles I do, which is a shame as I know MTR's last for ages.

I'd love a set of the Cooper LTZ's but they not available in 19" sizes, which is a real shame.

mik wrote:
Increases your gearing 3.5%.

In theory 70mph would then equate to a true 72.5 mph. In reality your speedo probably under-reads by that amount anyway, so it should even out.

Will blunt your acceleration slightly, and 1000miles on your odometer will actually be 1035miles.

Thanks for that calculation, sounds OK by me, as you say it over-reads anyway.
 BV55 YZE, ex G4 Challenge RRS. So not a Disco 3. Well, not quite.  
Post #6176639th Mar 2010 8:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >