Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

12 volt remote controlled switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
12 volt remote controlled switch

A few months ago I purchased a very cheap set of rear PDC's ( NON LR).These are operated/powered by plugging into by cigarette lighter or power outlet.At the moment I have it plugged into the rearmost outlet.Theres a switch on the side of the plug for on off.The actual sounder I have stuck to the body panel within the tow bar compartment.Its perfectly audible from drivers position.
This can be a PITA as Ive no way of turning it off , so in traffic anyone too close to my rear sets it off.There's plenty enough cable to hardwire it into reverse lights ( or bring it forward to one of the front outlets but I dont want to do this) but still leaves with the problem of turning it off/on.
In addition to wiring it to the reverse lights cabling, I was hoping to stick a remote controlled switch on it aswell, I could stick the remote fob to my bunch of keys etc.
Problem is I can't find any or may be looking in the wrong places , any advice on where best to source ?

I hope to get this bit sorted and document and post pics for anyone else that is interested.

I bought my motor straight off the forecort and was excatly what I wanted.It didn't have PDC's and I thought I would do without.I know I could have them retrofitted or buy a decent set of aftermarket ones.But half the fun is trying these things out oneself.

Your opinions on what Im doing are welcomed also. Thumbs Up

Post #20568219th Sep 2007 11:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

why not connect it normally and use a relay triggered from the reverse lights to mute / enable the sounder?

Post #20568719th Sep 2007 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ok 10 , first Im a complete beginner Rolling Eyes

I get what your saying in priciple , I suppose any decent car/automotive shop would have the bits ( the relay as per above) that Im looking for ?

Post #20569519th Sep 2007 11:45 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Your local Maplin has all the bits - or if you have no local maplin, then maplin.co.uk will deliver. it is very straightforward if you understand how a relay works - voltage to primary terminals from the lights say switches the circuit on the secondary terminals (PDC) to make it active when the reverse lights are on.

Post #20570119th Sep 2007 11:50 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

have a word with Chris Tyler - he'll have what you need Thumbs Up

Post #20570219th Sep 2007 11:51 pm
Wex

Thanks TFC Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #20570419th Sep 2007 11:52 pm
Wex

Thanks Alex Thumbs Up

Rolling Eyes No Maplins over here ( Yet !).I could spend days in there by the looks of it Whistle

Post #20570719th Sep 2007 11:58 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Discowex wrote:
Thanks Alex Thumbs Up

Rolling Eyes No Maplins over here ( Yet !).I could spend days in there by the looks of it Whistle

there is a maplin in Cork
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #20570920th Sep 2007 12:01 am
Wex

Shocked Chris There is ! and two in Dublin also ..... guess where Ill be tomorrow Rolling Eyes

Post #20571320th Sep 2007 12:03 am
WillMyth

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

There not as well stocked as the UK ones Big Cry

Post #20573120th Sep 2007 1:19 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

At the risk of asking a stoopid question - don't most aftermarket PDC sensor systems actually get power from the reverse lights? I.e. they are inactive and un-powered until reverse gear is selected?
Being as the D3 doesn't have any bulb-blown detection (Grrrrrrrr) I can't see this being an issue here - just make sure there's a suitably small value fuse inbetween the wire that feeds the reverse light and the PDC black box...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20591020th Sep 2007 1:42 pm
Wex

Not stoopid Stal ! Thumbs Up

The ones I bought are V V basic.Basically two pdc's wired to jack , inserted into speaker/sounder unit.Power chord out to cigarette plug( fuse integrated).Ill need a seperate fuse for hardwiring , noted.

It only cost me 20 euro.I wasn't going to spend 200- 300 on a semidecent set tbh.Ill get them on my next one , hopefully.

So you see it is a extremely cheap way of doing it and the coverage from the sensors is great.Still use mirrors tho Laughing

Post #20591620th Sep 2007 1:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >