Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

10,000 miles with the brakes on!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
JMC

Scotland 
10,000 miles with the brakes on!

My fuel consumption has been suffering in silence for quite some time now. Big Cry I used to regularly see 30MPG+ when taking it easy, but this has been consigned to history for much of the last year with results at a more sober 20-22MPG and only 400 mils from a tank rather than 500+...........until now Shocked

I just had my front brake pads changed and it was noted by the mechanic that the pads showed signs of being seized at some point. Ive just done a few miles since but my LCD is already hitting 31.7MPG. Razz

I had put the reduction in economy down to my less careful use of the right foot, but I was getting concerned when after trying hard to drive nicely, the best I could do was 25.6MPG.

There have been a good number of people posting about poor fuel consumption figures. May I suggest to these people that they get their brakes checked. I had no obvious signs of problems and not even a squeak from the front pads. But it looks like they have been holding me back for some time now. Evil or Very Mad
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #24341111th Jan 2008 12:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The inner front and rear pads usually seize up, because in their infinite wisdom, LR put the puts the pads in with no grease, so they seize up rather quickly...

Which is also why the outer pads wears so muc hquicker than the inner pads Thumbs Up

Post #24345811th Jan 2008 8:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

DiscoMikey

Where should the pads be greased? Is it between the calliper rams and the back of the pad? I'm getting pretty gash mileage and maybe it's because of binding brake pads. I'd like to strip the system down at the weekend and have a dekko.

Cheer

BW
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #24348011th Jan 2008 9:43 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

How can you tell if they are binding?? I don't have the facilities to put the car on a ramp & try and turn the wheels. JMC who fitted your pads or were they the original pads??

Last edited by DSL on 11th Jan 2008 5:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #24348211th Jan 2008 9:49 am
JMC

Scotland 

Pads were original so fitted by LR.

How can you tell......... Well, when your start seeing 400 miles out of a tank rather than 500 you know something aint right Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #24353211th Jan 2008 12:05 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

surely you would feel some heat in your front wheels arfter driving any distance ? I had siezed brakes years ago (on my first car) adn the wheels almost glowed after driving for a few miles.

Post #24353811th Jan 2008 12:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Might be a coincidence but looked at the graph of mpg and it does get better immediately after the front disc & pads were changes (under warranty) at the 1st service. Thought it might just be the new oil etc & the engine loosening up.

Post #24354111th Jan 2008 12:10 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

.........cheers JMC, on the phone to service manager as I have been complaining about lost 100 miles of range to him for a couple of months now......... Bow down
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #24355211th Jan 2008 12:34 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I can see my Takla and axle stands may be getting some use as soon as this wet weather takes a break

Cheers JMC Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #24356011th Jan 2008 12:39 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

only ever managed (almost) 500 miles once......

Generally get about 400 between fills.... Embarassed

It's in for it's first sevice today, so I'll have to see if there's anything that comes back any different. Hadn't thought of it as a potential issue til I read this.
But it freewheels in neutral ok, so hadn't noticed anything stuck on....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #24357511th Jan 2008 12:56 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I suspect that its not stuck fully on but just enough to casue a small amount of drag.

Post #24358111th Jan 2008 1:11 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

interesting that, mine doesn't free wheeel, put it in neutral at slow speed even on a slight downward slope and it stops nearly instantly whereas my defender used to roll form rest on the same slope!!
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #24358511th Jan 2008 1:15 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

ThatMartinChap wrote:
surely you would feel some heat in your front wheels arfter driving any distance ? I had siezed brakes years ago (on my first car) adn the wheels almost glowed after driving for a few miles.

Yes, you could fry an egg on my D2 wheels (assuming the car was on its side Shocked Wink ) when the calipers stuck even slightly on my D2.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #24360311th Jan 2008 1:54 pm
JMC

Scotland 

ThatMartinChap wrote:
I suspect that its not stuck fully-on but just enough to cause a small amount of drag.

Correct. Thumbs Up Difficult to diagnose as it would still free-wheel, just not as well as it probably should. Even a small amount of drag can have a significant effect on the fuel economy. As for wheels glowing red in the dark - we are not talking about this level of brake seizure.

Quite some time ago I had a rear pad disintegrate and this was noticeable from the squeak.

Between the reduced miles-per-tank and the reduced MPG figure on the LCD, I'm having an educated guess at a 20% reduction in fuel economy which is borne out by both figures. I'll be keeping a closer eye on the pads from now on...... Neutral
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #24360511th Jan 2008 1:55 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Bill Wright wrote:
DiscoMikey

Where should the pads be greased? Is it between the calliper rams and the back of the pad? I'm getting pretty gash mileage and maybe it's because of binding brake pads. I'd like to strip the system down at the weekend and have a dekko.

Cheer

BW

They should be greased on the 'lugs' that stick out the side of the pads. You will probably find too, that the dirt and rust has got under the metal clips that hold the pads in place. Remove these and file or wire brush the carriers, clean the metal clips, clean the ends of the pads, grease the pads, and rebuild. Pretty easy once you have done it once Thumbs Up

Just a word of warning, DONT get any grease on the friction surface of the pads or discs, otherwise you will have no brakes... Censored

Post #24375411th Jan 2008 6:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >